Monday, September 23, 2013

First Baby Quilt!

I am so excited!  I finally finished my very first baby quilt.  I had always wanted to make a quilt but was too scared to give it a try since they are all so intricate. Baby quilts seemed to be the place to start so I started compiling pictures of quilts on pinterest and once I decided on a simple pattern I jumped right in.  Turns out that doing triangles is a pain in the butt.  I guess there is a technique for cutting triangles but I didn't do it and then I had to go back through all my sewn squares and trim them because they weren't even after sewing the triangles together.  Ahh!  It probably took me twice as long as it should have.  Also, as I was putting the pieces together on the floor I noticed that I was one single gray triangle short!  I didn't realize when I bought the gray fabric that it was not as wide as your normal bolt of fabric.  I had seen other quilts with a cute little accent piece so I decided to do the same rather than buying more fabric.  Well, after I had finished sewing the quilt together I found an extra gray piece that had fallen off the table against the wall.  I would have had enough!  I really like having the accent piece so I think I lost it for a reason.  Anyway, my Aunt Celeste has been making quilts for as long as I can remember so once I had my rows all sewn together I turned to her for help.  She came to visit for a couple days and taught me a few tricks as I went along.  Did you know that it is best to iron your seams in different directions so they can lay nicely together when sewing your rows together?  I had no idea.  Thanks to Aunt CeeCee I have a less bulky quilt.  She was awesome at making sure I was doing everything properly each step of the way.  By the time she left I had sewn the top together, pinned the layers together, quilted the entire quilt, and sewn the binding onto the front.  All I had to do was hand stitch the binding to the backside.  I finished the binding late Saturday night while watching The Croods which is a very cute movie (at least it sounded cute).  I am so excited to have finished this quilt and cannot wait to bring our baby home from the hospital in this little blankie.



Front

Front and Back

Accent Piece

All the fabrics together

The quilting showing through the back


3 comments:

  1. Yay! I love it. I wish I was close to Cee Cee so she could come show me tips and tricks for finishing a quilt.

    Super cute!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It looks awesome Erin! Glad I could help! Love you guys! Aunt CeeCee

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love it! The accent piece really makes it!

    ReplyDelete

ONCE IN A WHILE IN AN ORDINARY LIFE, LOVE GIVES US A FAIRYTALE