Monday, May 16, 2011

Recipe #6

CHINESE CHICKEN CASSEROLE




4-6 Chicken Breasts
2-3 T Lemon Juice
2-3 T Soy Sauce
1 lb Fresh Bean Sprouts
1/4 C Green Onions
1 C Celery
1 Can Water Chestnuts, drained and sliced
1 C Mayonnaise
1 Can Chow Mien Noodles

Cook Chicken and cut (or shred) into bite sized pieces.  Place chicken in bowl and add lemon juice and soy sauce.  Set aside.  In a large bowl mix bean sprouts, green onions, celery, and water chestnuts.  Add chicken.  Make a sauce out of mayo and a small amount of soy sauce.  Add salt, pepper, and garlic to taste.  Mix sauce with chicken mixture and pour into a greased 9x13 pan.  Bake at 350 degrees for 25 minutes or until browned.  Serve over chow mien noodles.

.........................

Okay so it's been a little while since I made this dish so I'm just going off of what I remember.  I made this a couple months ago (yeah, I'm really behind on my posts) and as I recall it was actually pretty good.  I wasn't really paying attention to the recipe and I added a bit more soy sauce than I would have preferred but it was still pretty tasty.  The only thing I think I would do differently with this, besides backing off on the soy sauce in the sauce mixture would probably be to do less chicken and make it more of a side salad with some yummy sweet and sour pork or what-not.  You know how you go to a Chinese restaurant and you get some meat, chow mien/lo mien, rice and whatever else sounds good.  This is pretty much the same way, it wasn't really a meal by itself.  I will say though that it was the perfect leftovers.  I don't really eat big meals but rather smaller meals throughout the day, I pretty much munch all day.  I really enjoyed the Chinese Chicken Casserole as a light lunch, yummy.  

2 comments:

  1. Yum! I've never made this before, is it in the family cookbook? I'll have to make it soon. Sounds yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Of course it's in the family cookbook, it's one of Jenny's recipes.

    ReplyDelete

ONCE IN A WHILE IN AN ORDINARY LIFE, LOVE GIVES US A FAIRYTALE