Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Recipe #7

GERMAN PANCAKES

Made in a 9x13 glass pan
It cooled a bit so it's lost some of its puffiness

Made in an 8x8 metal pan
The metal pan made the edges pretty dark

6 Eggs
1 C Milk
1/2 tsp Salt
1/2 C Sugar
1 tsp Vanilla
1 C Flour
1/4 C Butter, melted

Heat oven to 400 degrees.  Mix first 6 ingredients until well blended.  Put melted butter into either a 9x13 (thin pancakes) or 8x8 (thick pancakes) pan.  Pour batter slowly into the buttery pan.  Bake for 15-20 minutes or until butter knife inserted comes out clean.


I don't think I really need to explain these.  I think everyone and their mother has had German Pancakes sometime in their lives.  For me it is such an easy breakfast to make and my kids actually eat them so we have them quite often in our home.  I know there are multiple ways to make these.  Some people melt the butter and mix it up with the rest of the ingredients and then theres the version I do where you put the butter in the pan and stick it in the oven while it's preheating to melt.  I throw all my ingredients in my blender and whip it up really quick and pour it over the melted butter in the pan.  I have made multiple German Pancakes with different ingredients, this one just happens to have a few extra ingredients than the typical version but they still taste pretty close, at least I can't tell a major difference.

2 comments:

  1. My mother never ate these until I started making them at a friend's recommendation who actually lived in Germany for part of her young life. I like making them with the hot pans as it helps the sides grow up taller. Yummy with veggies or sauted apples or jam or syrup.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Years ago I found a recipe for these in a kids magazine and I was so elated to find after my mom passed that she had kept it in her binder! Now I always make these for christmas morning but I pour the butter on top and that helps it stay bubbly, I'll have to try it this way too!
    Thanks for following me!
    Holly @ Crafts by Holly

    ReplyDelete

ONCE IN A WHILE IN AN ORDINARY LIFE, LOVE GIVES US A FAIRYTALE